Wednesday, July 1, 2009

"Natural + landcape scenery," slogan =/= wholesome

Yogurt galore at the natural foods store and 3 tubs have ingredients in them with no sugar added. The cereal isle has about the same proportion. It makes my life more simple while shopping, although the initial visit required a lot of time to check every one. That was a fun part, I love puzzles and reduction.

It is similar to the experience of being an herbivore and going to a restaurant. Usually I had 2 or maybe 3 options to choose, making it pretty simple because I have a tendency to be indecisive. Training is making me more decisive, "That is not even an option," or, "Yes, this is looks good!" I have noticed it is easier for me in that arena these days.



Peak stickers would be so much fun to place on aisle tags while in the center of the store. Walking around and attaching them on all the dairy, eggs, and carb foods that contain no added salt, sugar, or chemicals.

Labeling the store would have both positive and negative side effects. People would see them and be curious about the project, encouraging them to take care of their body and get into shape. It would negatively cut out the eye opening experience of reading every label in the aisle for an extended period of time.

Peak is the first time that I am buying yogurt or cereals as an adult. Now, I confirmed in my head what the trend of 'eat local and whole' books and movies have been preaching for the past few years: Our country has such a high rate of diabetes and obesity because even at natural health food stores, the center aisles are packed with sugar, fats and salt. Even though I understood it as a 'fact,' walking down the aisle and reading every single label really hit home that as a society, including the crunchy kids, we are trained to eat whats added to the product instead of the already complete food.

2 comments:

  1. This is so true. Finding a sugarless cereal or unsalted can of tomatoes is like looking for the holy grail. How did we get so f-ed up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It never ceases to amaze me what kind of garbage a "health food" company will put in their special "organic" TV dinners (or whatever). People just look at the package and say "oh, it's organic, it must be good for me!". Umm, no.

    ReplyDelete