Tuesday, July 21, 2009

These beets are makin' me thirsty!

Today I ate beets for my morning vegetable. They were really sweet tasting, cute, and yellow, but so salty! I notice the salt naturally in food more, including celery and sea vegetables. Before PCP I could eat a whole stick of dried wakame when I needed a lift (I have low blood pressure), and now a bite is enough.

Before the project began, I did not salt my food, even though other food I consumed contained salt already. Since I was a little girl, I never really liked it that much/forgot it existed. When I played sports, pre-wakame life, I would keep those double barrel salt packets with me to eat before games in hot weather. Bottoms up!

1 comment:

  1. Salt has been the most challenging thing for me to deal with on the PCP journey. Let's put it this way - previously, one of my mottos was "life needs salt". On the PCP, I have found it VERY difficult to eliminate salt entirely - however, I have become MUCH more sensitive to salt. Example - my wife brought home leftovers from a nearby taqueria the other night - a Carnitas plate. Feeling tired and lazy, I decided to weigh out the leftovers and eat them for dinner. There was steak (carnitas), beans, rice and tortillas. I ignored the beans, got a fresh tortilla, weighed out the rice and meat, took a bite of the rice...and almost spat it out! SOO SALTY! I ended up subbing some of my plain brown rice that I have around for "carb emergencies". So...even though I haven't been able to cut it out completely, I feel like I'm a LOT more conscious of it.

    ReplyDelete