Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Cauliflower

This recipe is one of the more wackier ones I've brewed up. I was laughing the whole time while cooking it. My mother used to make cauliflower, covered in a cheese and other dairy products, and call it, "Cow Brains." It was pretty hilarious, so I used my taste memory and attempted to recreate it PCP styl-ey. It was worth the fun.




Brains













The contents are: cauliflower, black pepper, chili pepper, kefir, nutritional yeast, fenugreek (optional), water, mustard powder.

-You may prepare cauliflower like mashed potatoes, but it contains much for flavor and goodness. If you want to take that route, add more water than in the photo above. It's an old trick people use after diagnosed with heart disease. It seems like this in addition to eating whole grains and overall wholesome food, usually is. Imagine eating that way most the time to prevent them.

If you want to make this, message me and I will make up some measurements.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First red pepper from the garden! I don't know if it is because I am playing favorites, but it's the best darn red pepper I have ever tasted. I roasted it in the oven. No need for oil, just pour a a small amount of water on a cooking sheet, 1/3 inch pools inside of the quartered pepper, place on the top rack at 375.

5 comments:

  1. WTF is Fenugreek?! Where do you come up with this stuff? Seriously, did you take a class or something?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, Patrick beat me to the WTF comment, but I'll say this: if all of our PCP group ever get together in one place, you are so cooking, and we're all helping because I want to see this stuff you talk about. By the way, thanks to Patrick, I now have the mexican spice I need to make my own Shelby Doritoes. Look for a pic of them in a future post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not a class in the hat. Well I guess I had cooking in high school, but I skipped it most days and they prepped meaty stuff so I wasn't really interested. I did have a crush on my kitchen partner though, who was also my chemistry partner. Ohh, young love.

    Food prep is a long time love. I wanted to be a professional chef when I was young and considered going to cooking school.

    Instead, I've done all the research myself and had some great one-time mentors. When I moved to Arizona five years ago I started to really transform the way I looked at food. I started phasing out soy products, and today eat it in very small amounts. I lived with an amazing roommate who was a killer chef and later had another roommate who was very knowledgeable about healthy herbivorism and detoxing. Through these experiences, paired with time at the library and bookstores reading raw food books, I've collected a tool box of ideas. Living is many different hippy cities, such as Athens (OH), Berkeley, and Tucson, also helped. Also watched a lot of videos on raw food prep and went raw for the spring last year. After that shifting experience, I still used all those base ideas, but cooked some of the veggies etc. Going raw, herbivorism, etc, can all be done healthily and successful with knowledge.

    I feel like there are 4 areas in my life that I never stop learning about: the human body/anatomy/asana, inner self, relationships, and wholesome eating. Life can be grand.

    Sean, I am down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fenugreek is a spice. It's often used in curries, chutneys, and to add a sweet taste to fish. I use it once in a great while, but keep it in the fridge for medicinal purposes.

    It is an expectorant. I was feeling mucus heavy and my digestion was a bit off, so I added it to the veggies. It subtly clears up the body and reduces inflammation. As with other spices, it has a list of medicinal benefits that is extensive. It reduces blood pressure, blood sugar, treats sinus congestion, and is an aphrodisiac.

    It has a maple syrup taste, and is to be used in small doses to avoid overpowering the food and your body. A shake here or there.

    ReplyDelete